Firouz FarmanFarmaian Follow Artist
History, memory, and the post-tribal inform the work of Persian-born artist Firouz Farman Farmaian, whose lifetime of living in exile in Paris, Andalusia, and North Africa profoundly influenced both his creative practice and individual character. "It is the circumstance that ultimately shapes lives," says the artist, whose work seeks to actively engage in bridging dialogues between past and future, east and west, archaic craft and innovative technology. As such, his compositions possess a vivacious and spontaneous energy, as well as a deeply symbolic quality, which speaks to a multiplicity of currents in planet preservation politics, art and philosophy.
Originally rooted in Persian lore and focused on themes of nature, architectonics and interplay between realism and abstraction, Farman Farmaian's ever-evolving body of work presents deep underlying explorative segments united by common motifs of movement and texture. The raw and visceral emotion of his pieces is tempered by material properties often produced and sourced within the framework of tribal collaborative craftsmanship. Each work is the result of careful contemplation of the techniques and tools that will achieve a singular aesthetic and emotional intention. These in turn are deftly combined to create a unique visual rhythm across a wide range of media, including painting, textile, film, music, and digital.
Lives and works in Athens, Greece.
- Gates of Turan - 2022 in Kyrgyz National Pavilion, 59th Biennale Di Venezia / Venice / Italy
- Revolution - 2021 in Villa Sufia Space / Teheran / Iran
- Banners of the Unbanished - 2020 in Théâtre Royal de Marrakech, 1-54 ArtFair Public Program, Jameel Prize Nominee. / Marrakech / Morocco
- Permanence of Trace - 2019 in We R the Nomads Agency / Mayfair, London / United Kingdom
- Poetry of the Tribe - 2018 in Leonard Tourné Gallery & Salomon Arts Gallery Tribeca / NYC / USA
- Chapel Series Exhibit - 2018 in Fabien Fryns Fine Arts, Alcuzcuz Domain / Benahavis / Spain
- Art & Freedom - 2018 in Galerie Golan Rouzkhosh / Paris / France
- Naturescapes - 2018 in Syra Arts Gallery / Washington DC / USA
- Strata - 2017 in Golan Rouzkhosh Gallery / Hamburg / Germany
- Art Brief III: The (Un)Draped Woman - 2017 in Arena 1 Gallery / Santa Monica / USA
- Nomadic Displacement, Site Specific Installation - 2017 in Marrakech Museum / Marrakech / Morocco
- Nomadic Displacement - 2017 in Marrakech Museum / Marrakech / Morocco