Sundus Abdul Hadi
Sundus Abdul Hadi is an Iraqi-Canadian multimedia artist and writer. Born in the UAE, she was raised and educated in Montreal, where she earned a BFA in Studio Arts and Art History and a Masters in Media Studies. Her work critically engages the concepts of care, community and struggle. Her artistic practice is a subversive and sensitive reflection on war, trauma and representation, using manipulated photographic imagery, mixed-media painting, artist books and sound. She is the author-illustrator of “Shams”, an illustrated book about trauma, transformation and healing (Spring 2020). Complimenting her studio practice, Abdul Hadi curates exhibitions as artist-curator, most recently with the exhibit “Take Care of Your Self”, the research-creation project featured in her upcoming book titled “Take Care of Your Self: The Art and Politics of Care and Liberation” (Fall 2020). She is the co-founder of We Are The Medium, a global multidisciplinary artist collective, publishing house and cultural hub.
Her work has been exhibited in Palestine, UAE, Canada, USA, France, New Zealand and the UK. She has given workshops in Australia, Iraq and Kuwait, and has been a speaker at Nuqat, the Nobel Peace Prize Forum, the Aga Khan Museum (Toronto), Telfair Museum (Savannah GA), NYU New York, and multiple universities in Canada and the US. Abdul Hadi is a two time recipient of the Conseil des Arts et des Lettres du Quebec (CALQ) Vivacite grant, and received the Makers Muse award from Kindle Project (2018). Her work is part of the Barjeel Art Foundation collection.
- I am BP - 2019 in P21 Gallery / London / United Kingdom
- RAWI: Radius of Arab-American Writers Conference 2018 - 2018 in Honors College, University of Houston / Texas / USA
- Take Care of Your Self - 2017 in Pop-up gallery / Montreal / Canada
- Generation - 2017 in Jepson Center, Telfair Museum / Savannah, Georgia / USA
- ICONIC: Black Panther - 2017 in Gregorio Escalante Gallery / Los Angeles, California / USA