Ahmed Badry graduated in 2003 from the Helwan University, Faculty of Art Education, Cairo. He lives and works in Cairo.
Badry’s body of sculptures and drawings act as a proposition for objects that strive to recover usefulness. The objects, in their current state, only function as tokens for speculation on alternative narratives of production, parallel to and immersed in a neoliberal global economy.
His subjects are often very small but visible in local everyday routines and are simultaneously of great functional importance. He examines the effects of the non-codified objects on language, collapsing the two poles of metaphor and metonymy. Through a process of re-presentation using projection, writing, drawing and 3D printing, the objects lose their ability to be named. The tangled object invokes a disruption in communication or possibly access to new neologisms.
In recent years, Badry has participated in several art Residencies including six months at the Cité des Arts in Paris; three months at the Swiss Art Residency of Canton St. Gallen in Rome and two months at the Delfina Foundation in London.
Badry‘s solo exhibitions include in 2018, Portmanteau at Letitia Gallery, Beirut, in 2009‚ Made in China with Anastasia Katsidis at Kasko-Basel, Switzerland, and in 2007 at Al Qahira, Cairo Atelier, Cairo. He has participated in recent group exhibitions such as ‚ Open House, Delfina Foundation, London (2017); Contemporary Artistic Revolutions: An Institutional Perspective, AUB Gallery, Beirut (2017); D-CAF | Downtown Contemporary Arts Festival, Cairo (2016); HOME WORKS 7, Beirut Art Center, Beirut (2015); Kunst (Zeug) Haus Rapperswil, Zurich (2015); What are you doing, object?, Gypsum Gallery, Cairo (2015); Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Algiers (2013); Regionale 13, Projektraum M54, Basel (2012); Cairo Documenta 2, Hotel Viennoise, Cairo (2012); Regionale 11, Hegenheim, France and Freiburg, Germany (2011) and at Darat al Funun, Jordan (2010).
- ‘Portmanteau’, Ahmed Badry - Agenda Culturel
- Portmanteau exhibition opens at Letitia Art Gallery - Beiruting
- "Portmanteau" Ahmed Badry - Cedar Wings
- HYBRIDATIONS - L'officiel
- Ahmed Badry: a Journey Through Objects, Transformations and Language - Word Press
- “Portmanteau” exhibition opens at Letitia Art Gallery - Executive Bulletin
- PORTMANTEAU - Elle Magazine
- PUTTING AN ARTISTIC SPIN ON EVERYDAY OBJECTS - Lebanon Traveler
- «Portmanteau» d’Ahmed Badry - Noun Magazine
- PORTMANTEAU Galerie Letitia, Jusqu'au 16 Juin - Magazine Le Mensuel
- ‘Portmanteau’, an artist’s lens into social and political issues - The Arab Weekly
- Ahmed Badry “Portmanteau” - Etere Art
- The effects of non-codified objects on language - Gulf News
- The Artist Using Everyday Objects to Change Perceptions - Mille
- Ahmed Badry’s “Portmanteau” at Letitia Gallery - Whitewall
- L’univers hybride, boiteux et drôle d’Ahmad Badry - L'Orient Le Jour
- Portmanteau - WSI Mag
- AHMED BADRY IN BEIRUT : Crossed Creations - Frankfurter Allgemeine Art market
- VERNISSAGE DE L'EXPOSITION PORTMANTEAU - Prestige
- Ahmed Badry: Portmanteau - Art Bahrain
- 25th anniversary of Ashkal Alwan - Agenda Culturel